Sunday 9 February 2014

Medical Conference: Introduction from Medical Doctor

This is a part of a video where I was being introduced at a medical conference by one of the doctors. This doctor was fascinated by the fact that it took an engineer to solve one of medical science's more complex diseases. He was also amazed that, during his radio call-in show, that I was able to answer the questions from some of his listeners, while the two doctors on the radio show couldn't answer most of the questions.

But, for those of you who know engineers, then, you are already aware that some engineers represent some of the smartest people on the planet. :-) Smile


During my recovery from the diabetic coma, it seemed like that almost every week, something interesting would happen that I couldn't explain. But, after a couple years, things settled down.

Then, one day, I got a phone call from a doctor asking me if I'm the guy who survived a diabetic coma and wrote a book about it. It turns out that he wanted me on his call-in radio show with 2 doctors where I would play the role of the diabetic patient. I agreed because it would be a great opportunity to hear from other diabetics calling into the radio show.

During the first part of the radio show, the radio show host/doctor introduced the 2 doctors and myself; and, had each of us talk about ourselves for a quick minute or so. Then, the radio show host/doctor asked some questions about diabetes that each of us would answer from our perspective.

Then, a couple people called in to the show with their questions. But, the 2 doctors couldn't answer the questions! They said something like: "That's an excellent question, but, I'll have to get back to you on that." Or, they said something like: "That's a good question, but, I don't have any information about your medical history to answer that question."

After a few minutes of this, I said: "Excuse me, but, I think that I could answer the question from the last caller."

The radio show host/doctor said, "OK, sure, give it a shot." (I could hear the 2 doctors snickering in the background).

After I answered the question, there was dead silence.(I thought that I had said something wrong or inappropriate).

Then, the radio show host/doctor said: "Wow, DeWayne, that's a very interesting point of view, but, do you have any medical data or clinical studies to back up what you just said?" (Again, the 2 doctors were snickering in the background).

I said: "Yes, as a matter of fact, there was a clinical study conducted in 1997 in Boston, that was documented in the New England Journal of Medicine. And, concerning the previous question, there were several studies done in Germany and, I believe, one by the Mayo Clinic in 1990 or 1991, that substantiates my earlier comment about Type 2 diabetes pathophysiology at the cellular level. And, recently two medical doctors have admitted that reversing Type 2 diabetes is feasible, measurable, and quantifiable."

Within 30 seconds, the radio show's phone lines were ringing like crazy. The 2 doctors were shocked and flabbergasted and weren't prepared for the deluge. On the other hand, I welcomed it. It reminded me of years ago when I was still just a rookie engineer, I volunteered to work in the "War Room" and take phone calls from technicians in the field who were having problems with the machines in the customer's offices.

Originally, I was only supposed to be on the radio show for the first 15-20 minutes. But, I ended up staying on the show for the entire hour and answered most of the questions.

A few days later, the radio show host/doctor called me and said: "DeWayne, I've never got that kind of response from my audience before, even when I had a celebrity doctor on my show. You have GOT to come to our annual medical conference and speak about your recovery, your diabetes program and how it's helped other diabetics."

And, so, that's how I ended up at this medical conference ...

Sincerely,
DeWayne McCulley
Death to Diabetes Office
Website: http://www.deathtodiabetes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment