Monday 3 February 2014

First TV Interview

I was very fortunate the first time that I ended up being interviewed on a local TV news show . I received a phone call around 4:30am from a local news station asking me to come down to the station for a morning interview because someone else got sick and couldn't make it. So, I didn't have to get a haircut or anything plus I was still quite sleepy and I remember it was raining. This was by far my worse interview -- but, it taught me to better prepared in the future.

Here's that interview -- the first time a news story about me appeared on TV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyU8oB7a1AA


I couldn't believe that I was on the news! Surprised

But, for some reason the assistant TV producer loved the news story even though I felt that I had done a poor job and looked a little disheveled.  The producer felt that more people needed to know about my story, so she tried to get the news story on the evening news and national news so that more people could see it, but, it was turned down. 

Later on, I found out that a senior executive had the story squashed. By this time, I had talked to the producer's mother and helped her with her diabetes. Now, the producer was even more adamant about getting my story on the national airwaves. But, eventually someone pulled her to the side and told her that it wouldn't be good business for this story to reach the mass public. So, the story died there.

I was really disappointed that my news story never made it out of the Rochester, NY area. But, my daughter gave me the idea to put the story on YouTube. As a result, this news story has reached a few more thousand people, but, not enough people to really have any impact. More diabetics need to know that taking diabetic drugs should not be a life sentence.




No comments:

Post a Comment